Seven easy steps to share the story of your faith journey
These steps are designed to help you write and share the story of your personal journey of how you found faith in Jesus Christ. The most important thing is that you be yourself and that your story is true. In a baptismal service it should last no more than three to four mins.
1 – Realise the power of telling the story of your personal faith journey
First and foremost – remember – there is power in a true story! Revelation 12:11 says we overcome our enemy be the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony.
2 – Study an example of a personal faith story from the Bible
Read Acts 26. Here the Apostle Paul share his personal story of how he found Jesus
Start with Jesus and End with Jesus – Make it less about you and more about Him
3 – Spend time in thought preparation
There are a few things to consider before you start writing your personal story. Think about your life before you met Jesus. What was going on in your life leading up to your conversion? What problems or needs were you facing at the time? How did your life change after that?
4 – Consider using a simple three-point outline in about 200-300 words (1/2 page A4)
A three-point approach is very effective in communicating your faith journey. This outline focuses on before you trusted Christ, how you surrendered to him, and the difference since you’ve been walking with him.
- Before: Simply tell what your life was like before you surrendered to Jesus. What were you searching for before coming to know Him? What was the key problem, emotion, situation or attitude you were dealing with? What motivated you? What were your actions? How did you try to satisfy your inner needs? (Examples of inner needs are loneliness, fear of death, insecurity. Possible ways to fill those needs include work, money, drugs, relationships, sports, sex.)
- How: How were you converted? Simply tell the events and circumstances that caused you to consider Christ as the solution to your searching. Take time to identify the steps that brought you to the point of trusting Jesus Christ. Where were you? What was happening at the time? What people or problems influenced your decision.
- Since: How has your life in Christ made a difference? How has his forgiveness impacted you? How have your thoughts, attitudes and emotions changed? Share how Jesus is meeting your needs and what a relationship with him means to you now.
5 – Important Tips to Remember
- Stick to the point. Discovering a new life in Jesus should be the main point.
- Be specific. Include events, genuine feelings and personal insights that clarify your main point. This makes your story tangible – something others can relate to.
- Be current. Tell what is happening in your life with God now, today.
- Be honest. Don’t exaggerate or dramatise your life for effect. The simple truth of what God has done in your life is all the Holy Spirit needs to convict others of their sin and convince them of his love and grace.
6 – Things to Avoid
Stay away from “Christian” phrases. These “foreign” or “churchy” words can alienate listeners and readers and keep them from identifying with your life. Here are some examples:
Avoid using “born again”
- spiritual birth
- spiritual renewal
- to come alive spiritually
- given a new life
Avoid using “saved”
- delivered from despair
- found hope for life
Avoid using “lost”
- heading in the wrong direction
- separated from God
- had no hope
Avoid using “Gospel”
- God’s message to man
- the good news about Christ’s purpose on earth
Avoid using “sin”
- rejecting God
- missing the mark
- falling away from the right path
- a crime against God’s law
- disobedience to God
Avoid using “repent”
- admit a wrong
- change one’s mind, heart or attitude
- make a decision to turn away
- turn around
- a 180 degree turn from what you were doing
- Don’t be afraid to practice on your own.
- Read your notes several times and see how much you can share without your notes.
- But don’t feel bad if you have to stick to your notes. We are not all actors.
IF ALL ELSE FAILS BE YOURSELF AND TALK ABOUT GOD